Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Generosity Means the Whole Donut

Today on the way to Bible study Joel and I were talking in the van about what pleases God and what doesn't.

"Being kind does,"he said, "NOt calling people stupid or idiot."
"Yup, you're right," I agreed.
"Being obedient," he added. "The first time you're told to do something and you do it," he said.
"That's true, too." I said. "What else? HOw about being generous??"
"What does generous mean?" he asked.
"It means giving a lot," I said. "Sharing what you have with other people. Not a little, a lot."
"You mean like a donut?"
"Yes, but if I gave just a little bite, would that be generous?" I asked.
"No," he said.
"How about if I gave them half of it?"
'Yeh, I think so," he guessed.
"What about if I gave them the whole donut?" I asked.
"Then they'd eat it all!" he said.

Suddenly we both got quiet. Maybe we're not so sure about being generous with our donuts.

No comments: