Thursday, September 03, 2009

What "Corny" Means

Joel had to accompany me to my Weight Watchers meeting yesterday (poor little guy). What 7 year old enjoys that?--
especially when, at the end, the leader says to the group, "Okay, now, I want everyone to stand and learn a cheer."

A cheer? Seriously? My cheerleading days ended in 10th grade. I'm grown up now. I don't pay 12 bucks a week to feel like an idiot. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. So we stood.

The leader gets everyone to stand and cross their arms below the waist, wrists up. Then she leads us in the "cheer" : we uncross them in a (less than) exuberant sweep while saying "hip, hip, away". That's it.

A few minutes later, after we were in the van, Joel says, "Hip, hip hooray? Mom, that cheer was dumb."

"Well, it wasn't 'hip, hip, hooray, it was 'hip, hip, away, as in 'make our big hips go away.'"

'That's just--"

"Corny?" I asked.

"Yeh, corny. You know what 'corny' means? It means "clever in a dumb sort of way.' "

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Yeah, that "roll your eyes" dumb sort of way!
Silliness!
But every so often corny can be cute... or at least the attempt to be funny may be cute. (Just remember that at the right time, Joel!) My husband may be "King of Corn", but I sort of have an "ear for it" now and his corny jokes have rather endeared (pun intended) me to him. Sorry.
Yes, that was a corny thing at WW!
Okay here's a real corny joke:

Q. What did the baby corn say to the mama corn?
A. Where is my pop corn?!