Monday, March 27, 2006

It Rhymes!

If you've ever spent time with a four-year-old, you'll recall that rhymes, when discovered, provide an endless source of creativity for the little mind. And, if I can be perfectly blunt, it can get on your last nerve and make you want to swerve around a curve.

Joel has just started to rhyme. He goes around most of the day saying, "Does dog rhyme with hog?" I say, "Yes, it does." He asks,"Does floor rhyme with door?" "Uh-huh," I say. Then it continues. "Hug-bug, climb-time, yell, 'pell (which means spell or smell, depending on context)." Sometimes the rhymes get made up. "Does vehicle rhyme with mehicle?"

Yesterday he was listening to the radio in the van on the way to church. He has been a musician since he was in God's mind. What thrilled him to pieces was hearing the lyrics at the end of each line.

"Love and above! That rhymes!" The glee on his face was priceless. Suddenly the joy of knowing that this child, whom I'd ask God to gift as a musician and evangelist, was listening so intently to worship lyrics that he picked up on the rhymes.

I am so happy right now. Epiphanies found vicariously.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

How cute. I'm not sure I remember that stage well with my daughter, but then it's been a very long time. She's 22. Thanks for the good words about Jimmy's afghan and your thoughts for him as well.
I do remember my daughter loving Robert Louis Stevenson poetry. To this day she'll refer to it. A favorite...The Swing. Everytime we'd go to the park and I push her in the swings....Oh I should like to go up in a Swing, up in the air so blue, oh I do think it's the pleasantness thing, ever a child can do, up in the air and over the walls til I can see so wide, rivers and trees and cattle and all, over the country side....Thanks for bringing back a fond memory.
Sandy

Sandy said...

Hi Zoanna,
Thanks for coming by for a visit. I love doing each afghan differently and trying to do things a bit different with the colors as well. Particularly when these squares come from all over the country, and oddly enough some of the makers must be measurement challenged...so fitting them together has been a challenge for me. Thus the changing sizing and edging so much etc.

The Homeless group in MD, actually has a parent group called Homefront Christian Outreach 228 Electrion Rd., Oxford, PA 19363, however, a call named Brieann Masenoir and her family have taken on passing out coats, hats, mitts, scarfs etc to the homeless directly and have reached a huge number of people. They wash, repair and distribute. Here's her email ady jorcamash@zoominternet.net. Please let her know I gave you her email ady. Last counting I had, this one family had reached over 500 people.

Working today on another afghan for the hurricane relief, and hope to get a hat done as I'm a bit behind on my hat count for hat a week. Need also to get some squares out for a couple of groups.

Happy stitching and have a wonderful weekend.
Sandy