Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Special Wormie, Bad Dog, Founding Fathers

Our fifteen month old golden Retriever can't be trusted not to pick stuff up that doesn't belong to him. Today he got hold of Wormie, an 18-inch white stuffed sock puppet that Joel made in second grade.

Reilly tore the eyes off, which made Joel understandably very, very angry and hurt. In his anger, he threw the eyes into the bottom of the trash.

He carried on and on. "Wormie was special to me! I hate Reilly. I'm never gonna look at him again. I'm never gonna feed him, never play with him even if he looks cute cuz he's not, he's ugly. He doesn't deserve anything he has! He only deserves to go back to his old owner that didn't take care of him!"

I asked Joel if he wanted to take the eyes out of the trash; he could glue them back on.

"No. He will never be the same!"

"How about if I sew the eyes back on? He'll look just fine."

"No, he won't, Mom. Even if you make me a brand new Wormie, I'll still be angry. It's like the Declaration of Independence."

I was stumped. Where'd that analogy come from?

"What do you mean, honey?"

"I mean a copy of the Declaration of Independence just isn't valuable. Only the original thing is!"

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Poor Wormie. Nothing less would be as valuable.

Speaking of "Wormies", We had one also, but it was not homemade nor original... We had a kitty cat who had a "wormie". It was knitted, colorful and about the size of a finger. The cat loved to bat it around, over, through, into and under all sorts of furniture or obstacles (real or imagined). One day he lost Wormie and he spoke in cat language how disappointed he was and how lonely he was for Wormie. We searched and searched, but didn't find Wormie until we were moving from the house and Voila!! there was Wormie! The Real Thing, under the heavy oak cabinet. Kitty was happy to be reunited to long lost and Original Wormie! Our "Wormie Story" has a happy ending. Oh, I hope yours does too!