Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Shift Key Confusion

Joel drew a heart and put the words, "Dad, Mom, Joel" inside. He came to me and asked how to do the seven on the shift key. I was not paying full attention to his question, so I assumed.

"You mean how to spell it? S-e-v-e-n," I said, writing it.
"No, I mean like on the shift key."
Again, I manufactured an meaning. "OH, "seven" in capital letters?" I wrote that for him.
"No, I don't mean that. I mean like cursive on the shift key." Once more, I was confused. I was thinking "cursive font in captitals," so I wrote that.

He was getting exasperated, and I wasn't any closer to closing the brain gap.

"UH! I MEAN, the SHIFT KEY and the SEVEN that looks like this" (he drew something akin to a treble clef note.

EUREKA!

FINALLY it dawned on me. "Oh, the and sign?!"

"Yes! he cheered. "The and sign. Like Dad, Mom, & Joel." He was talking about the ampersand. Duh. So I taught him that word and he was duly excited.

I was thinking, "Wow, kid. I didn't know how to use the ampersand on the typewriter (yes I'm dating myself) until typing class in high school! Let alone remember that it's on the 7 key when I'm NOT typing!

No comments: