Monday, May 08, 2006

Hangman, Joel's Way


A couple weeks ago I was playing Hangman with Joel. His version of this familiar game is so much fun to play. (In the picture you can see the preprinted Hangman Pad my mom gave him for a road trip.)

Here's how it goes:

He draws several blank lines on the page. Then he says, "Guess a letter."

I say, "P." He stops to think, and then says, "no P." Then he draws a head on the hanging rope.

"Guess anuzzer letter," he says.

"Um....A," I say.

"You're RIGHT!" He exclaims, and writes an "A" in the first blank.

"Guess again."

"How about an R?" I ask.

"You're right AGAIN!" He writes an R in the second blank. The next letter I get right goes into the third blank, but occasionally I guess wrong.

Did I mention that Joel doesn't read? Yeh, that's the funny part. He doesn't know what he's spelling, but he is amused by trying.

So the word I guessed all the letters for ends up spelling ARQOTYUL. The hangman has multiple appendages in Joel's version. If need be, he puts eyebrows and toenails on the man to keep me from losing.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

How cute.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

That is so cute! It reminds me of when I was little...do you remember the song you'd sing where you'd sing about a boy and a girl "sitting in a tree, k i s s i n g...." well, I had no idea that you actually had to spell a word. I thought it was just random letters or something, so I'd sing the song and just substitute any old letter LOL...so it might go "Jack and Jill sitting in a tree p q l m s t r..." LOL

Kitty Couture said...

Aww, isn't that the right way to play!

This the first time I see a picture of your precious, beautiful Joel. Funny as I was thinking of you while at the countryside this weekend, and thinking I'd like to see a picture of him! Thank you my friend :)

Zoanna said...

Isabelle, I didn't realize I had never sent you an email picture of JOel. Well, I bet you wouldn't be surprised to know have quite an assortment. (For the longest time I was afraid to post pictures, but being the hawkeye parents that we are, I don't think anyone's gonna get to our kids without going thru us first. I have estrogen and I'm not afraid to use it. Paul rarely gets really angry, but even HINT at mention messing w/ one of his kids in any harmful way and I think he might find superhuman strength to knock out some headlights). Anyway, always good to hear from you!!!